Side dish: Bendakaya Majjiga Pulusu
Duration: 40 minutes
One of the best yogurt recipes in south Indian cuisine is Majjiga pulusu, it’s an authentic and popular dish in Andhra meals. There are different types in the making process of majjiga pulusu which varies from region to region. Majjiga means “buttermilk” which is whisked curd or yogurt with water, The semi-thick consistency gravy prepared by using few peculiar ingredients used in our daily lives, these ingredients make the gravy thicken, smooth and shiny 🙂 You can include any vegetable mix to make it but I simply used okra and bottle gourd which turned out delicious and finally garnished with coriander leaves. I love curd recipes if you do so try this homemade tasty side dish paired up with Hot rice or chapathi.
In my past recipes, I have shared sorakaya majjiga pulusu you can either click this link or you can find in search tab, also I am sharing few other curries recipes at the end of this post! please do check 🙂
Let’s start with ingredients and procedure
- Okra / Bendakaya – 5 – cut head & tail and chop 1-inch pieces
- Sorakaya / Bottle gourd – 1 cup – chopped – big chunks
- Onion – 1/2 cup – chopped
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing/ asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Whisked curd – 1/2 cup – 120 ml
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup – chopped
- Raw rice – 1/2 tbsp – soaked 20 mins in water
- Red gram or kandi pappu – 1/2 tbsp – soaked 20 mins in water
- Green chilies – 5
- Curry leaves – 5
- Coconut – fresh or frozen – 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- First, grind all masala paste by adding 1/4 cup water in it. make a smooth paste and keep aside
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan add oil, add cumin and mustard seeds.
- Let them splutter then goes in onion. Saute 2 mins
- Next add chopped okra, bottle gourd and saute 5 minutes then add salt, turmeric powder, saute.
- Next add the grounded masala paste Combine well and let it cook more 5 minutes then add water, mix well and cover with the lid.
- Let it cook 5 minutes and then add whisked curd, combine well and cover with the lid and cook more 10 minutes.
- When the gravy starts thickening add coriander leaves, stir and turn off the heat
- Serve with piping hot rice or phulka. Happy Cooking and have a nice day 🙂
Step by step process shown below with pictures:
Check out these delicious curries:
- Aloo Mutter Curry| Potato Peas Curry |Side Dish
- Dal Makhani | Restaurant style | Side Dish
- Vankaya Bajji Kura 😋|Brinjal and Tomato 🍅 Curry | Side Dish
- Methi Mutter Malai 😍| Fenugreek peas cream curry | Restaurant Style
- Bottle Gourd Curry 🍛 | One pot cooking
Share your comments in the below section, I like to know your opinion
© 2017- 2019 Ramyarecipes